While there are many different kinds of pests that you might find in your Houston home, by far one of the most destructive is termites. They are one of the most damaging pests as they can ruin many things in your home as they eat through wood. They commonly damage anything from furniture to support beams to flooring.
Around 600,000 homes in the United States have a termite problem each year, and, on average, homeowners spend a few thousand dollars in repairs from termite damage.
One of the reasons why termites can be so destructive is that they can be causing damage for months or even years before you notice them. This is because they are usually out of sight in places that you can’t see such as inside walls. They are also rather silent, and you’re simply unlikely to notice them right away.
While you might not always see termites themselves, there are times of the year when swarmer termites leave their colonies to reproduce. So, knowing what they look like is still helpful.
Here are the characteristics of termites:
- They are an off-white color usually but can be brown or black.
- They have long, oval-shaped bodies with a ribbed appearance.
- Reproductive termites, known as termite swarmers, have wings.
- They have six legs and a pair of antennae.
Signs Of A Termite Infestation
Because termites can live inside your home for a long time before you notice them by sight, knowing other signs of termites is the best way to get rid of them before they do a ton of damage. Some of these telltale things around your home can mean you’re dealing with termites, such as:
- Discolored drywall that might have what looks like water damage
- Small pin-size holes in drywall or wallpaper
- Paint that is peeling or bubbling
- Hollow-sounding wood
- Doors and windows fitting more tightly in their frames or doors that jam easily
- Floors that sound squeaky or have started buckling
- Discarded wings from the swarmer termites around lights or windows
What Attracts Termites To Homes?
Since termites are one of the worst pests to have when it comes to property damage, knowing how to prevent them is a great place to start. Prevention can be difficult, and it’s not always completely effective. However, you can take steps to address weak points in your home that make it easier for termites to come inside. By reducing the things that attract termites to your property, you also can reduce the chances that termites will become an issue.
Here are some of the best way to make your home less appealing to termites:
- Limit soil-to-wood contact
- Store firewood away from the outside of your home
- Repair leaky pipes and faucets
- Ensure that crawlspaces, attics, and basements are well ventilated
- Remove decaying organic matter from your property
- Get rid of wood with water damage
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Termites
There are some steps you can take to prevent termites, but once an infestation starts they are notoriously hard to remove. This is because termites are extremely invasive and their colonies can be hard to access. The most effective way to prevent and remove termites is to contact the pest control experts at GreenForce Pest Solutions. Give us a call today to learn more or to schedule a consultation.