What would happen if you poured an entire box of cereal on your floor and left it there? Would it sit there and go stale over the course of several weeks? Would your pets or children try to eat some of it? If ants are around your home, we know what would happen. It would start with a single scout, just one lonely ant looking for a meal to share with his friends. Once the pile was found, the single scout would rush back to his colony to let his fellow workers know of the find. Within a matter of hours, thousands of ants would be trailing through your home to help gather Mount Cereal. The only time they would stop is when the last piece was picked up. This is how ants work. If you are tired of this happening inside your Houston home, we have some simple tricks you can try.
Common Ants Around Houston
There are several different species of ants here in Houston. We have red imported fire ants, banded sugar ants, red harvester ants, leafcutter ants, carpenter ants, and many more. Of course, not all ants cause the same problems.
- Fire ants rarely enter homes but can destroy landscaping and cause pain with their bites and stings.
- Carpenter ants are not only known for stealing food, but also for building their nests by tunneling through the structural wood of homes. This can cause extensive damage over time that costs homeowners an arm and a leg to fix.
- Finally, you have several species of home-invading ants. These ants typically build their homes outside or within the walls of a home and only venture inside to scout for and gather food that has been left out or dropped on floors.
What Factors Attract Ants To Properties?
Different ant species are attracted to properties by different things. Fire ants are drawn to yards by warm dry conditions and suitable places for them to build their nests. Carpenter ants usually only infest homes that have wood that has been water damaged or has been softened by rot, mold, or decay. Other species of ants are attracted to available food sources, water, and shelter opportunities. If your home has accessible food sources, it is much more likely to have ants settling in nearby.
How To Deter Ants From Your Property
Assuming you are looking for a way to deter all ants from your property, here is a laundry list of prevention tips you can try.
- Keep your lawn and landscaping well maintained.
- Remove clutter and debris from your yard.
- Make sure your gutters are in good-working order.
- Trim back bushes and tree branches so that sunlight can shine on your home’s exterior foundation.
- Pick up and clean out pet bowls after they are done using them.
- Repair or replace water-damaged, rotting, or decaying structural wood around your property.
- Fix leaks within your home.
- Store leftover foods and drinks inside sealed containers or bottles.
- Clean your home regularly. Do not neglect cleaning under large appliances and furniture.
- Use a caulking gun to seal up gaps, cracks, and small openings in your home’s exterior.
- Make sure your window and door screens are rip and tear-free.
An Easier Way To Deal With Ants
If dealing with ants on your own seems like too much of a hassle, let the professionals here at GreenForce Pest Solutions help you out. Our team has the training and equipment needed to effectively and reliably deal with any and all pest threats facing you and your property. With our wide variety of service options on your side, you will never have to worry about ants causing you trouble ever again.